An exceptional terracotta bust by the early Renaissance sculptor Donatello (1386-1466) was on display for almost a year in the Museo Nazionale di Palazzo Venezia. The bust of San Lorenzo was produced for the main entrance of the Pieve di San Lorenzo in Borgo San Lorenzo (Mugello). It is dated to circa 1440, contemporary with the Florentine sculptor’s creation of his bronze “David” now in the Bargello Museum in Florence.
The polychrome terracotta is an important recent addition to the oeuvre of Donatello. Although it is likely that Donatello visited Rome with Brunelleschi, his sole surviving work in the city in his signed marble tombstone of Giovanni Crivelli the nearby church of Santa Maria in Aracoeli.